My overall impression of implementation is that engaging students in literature circles and success in implementation is dependent on students' reading levels. I divided my students into two groups: one with my RR 24 - 28 and the other with RR levels 18 - 22. Both groups used the same book for the first week of implementation: Miss Rumphius (an essential literature book required by Metro Nashville Public Schools for third grade). Though it contains vocabulary on a third grade level, it is also a picture book with one to ten sentences per page. I thought this would be a good pick considering NONE of my students have ever been informed or engaged in lit. circles. I thought the groups' interactions before and during the reading were excellent for beginners, however, one of the groups (my lower reading levels) needed consistent coaching to work their way through post-reading activities and discussions.
The students really seemed to enjoy the text, which was somewhat surprising to me considering that it is a book about a woman fulfilling what she sees as her purpose in life. There is no fantastic plot or exciting elements to the story. However, the students seemed to enjoy the discussions that took place during the reading. After completing the reading of the text, "discussion directors" in the groups were given tools to help groups discuss the book such as questioning dice and question cards. Students in the lower leveled reading group struggled to answer questions and would hardly respond at all without me entering the group and coaching them along. Although every member of the group was given and trained in a specific lit. circle role, they could not seem to regulate themselves without prompts or encouragement. My other group however, seemed like naturals throughout the process. Not only did they engage themselves in their roles and discussions, I observed students voicing their opinions and even disagreeing politely with one another throughout their conversations.
Although I think that literature circles are very appropriate for many classrooms, I would not recommend that and ELL teacher hastily begin this endeavor. This activity requires training that may take a couple of weeks before actual engagement. However, once students understand and are willing to operate as a cooperative and contibuting part of the reading group, they allow students to develop the autonomy and social language that our ELLs need so much.
If I were to repeat this (and I plan to), I would give my readers a below level reader OR a warm read that they could easily comprehend and were familiar with. I think the confidence that they would bring to a warm read would give them the encouragement that they need to discuss the book until they develop a strong understanding of how the groups interactions should look. Additionally, I would (and will) show a clip of a literature circle in action AND invite our highest leveled ability group in reading to come model how a literature circle should look in action!
MTSU Honor Statement:
This assignment/assessment was solely written by me. In no way have I plagiarized (represented the work of another as my own) or otherwise violated the copyright lawss and academic conventions of fair use. I know that violations of this policy may result in my being dismissed from Middle Tennessee State University and/or appropriate legal action being taken against me.
Elaine Capella
April 19, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment